Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Sheryl - Medical Update

I feel like most of you probably know what's going on, but I've seen some requests for an update, so here goes...

I feel very grateful for all of the effort put into getting me into the Univ of Ut. I feel like my doctors there are the most knowledgeable in the state with regard to sd. They will monitor me regularly - specifically my internal organs. I will return on June 6th - they will most likely repeat my EKG as they were not happy with the findings from the Mayo report. I choose not to worry about something unless it is a confirmed "worry" item. And even then, why worry? I do my best, I'm getting to the best doctors I can find, and thankfully the Lord has blessed me with the gift of PEACE. At a time like this there is no greater gift. We feel hopeful, we feel full of faith, and we know that the Lord is aware of every detail of our lives. We feel His blessings every day. I want you each to know that prayers ARE being answered. Our Heavenly Father DOES hear our prayers. I have felt great strength from your prayers and fasting and temple attendance. Yet, we still seek a miracle and that is what we continue to pray for in faith.

Anyway...the U of U docs want me to start on a chemo drug. I'm not too eager to start this. It's technically a drug for RA. But since there is no drug specifically for sd, rheumatologists just choose to prescribe random drugs that have worked for other diseases. None of the rheumys I've been to have agreed on what drug I should go on. They all say something different.

I'm continuing with the antibiotic protocol that I started about 6 weeks ago. To me this therapy makes the most sense. It's hard to know what's coming of it, but this is the only treatment that has brought about relief or even remission in sd patients. Although studies in antibiotic therapy were conducted at Harvard Univ and it was found to be effective most of the mainstream medical community don't accept it.

I've also started acupuncture. Basically I feel like it's important to explore different areas of medicine. I'm not taking an either/or approach, but I feel like there are many things that I need to explore.

I continue with a very strict diet. I have began eating a few fruits, but mostly still veggies & protein. Definitely no dairy, no sugar, no yeast, etc. I've been on this diet for about 7 weeks. It's okay. It can be done - there's no point in cheating. Anyway... so there you have it - my latest. Thank you all so much for your interest and concern. I sure love you all!

4 comments:

David Brown said...

Sheryl, Thanks so much for the update and yes, it is pretty much as we have been told in the past. We're grateful that you have such a positive attitude knowing that you are doing all that the best doctors can prescribe.

It's terribly frustrating though to know that there is not agreement within the medical profession on what the treatment should be. This is why it's so important to be at a research oriented hospital.

We are also very grateful that Lon is totally available - fulltime - to help with any thing you need and to help care for the kids. He is wonderful!

We love you and we continue to fast and pray for "THE MIRACLE" of full health.

Please do keep us posted on the treatment options and the results.

MelRae Brown said...

Darling Sheryl: How blessed we are to know and love you, to have you in our family. You have been such a wonderful example to us since you were a young child - alway happy, helpful, spiritual, obedient.

You have never been one to complain or feel sorry for yourself. You always have a quick smile and a desire to help others even when we know you are suffering.

I am so thankful that you are feeling Peace. Sweet is the Peace the Gospel brings. You have that peace. You are so full of faith and hope at a time when most people would be crying and discouraged. You bring so much love and inspiration to all of us. You are amazing and always positive in every way.

And yes, we are all pleading for a miracle. We all need you to get well and continue to strenthen us as you always have.

I wish I could wrap my arms around you and tell you how much you mean to me. I hope you can feel it. I have never prayed so hard in my life. You have helped us all to spend more time on our knees and in the Temple. Thank you for what you are doing to bring love and unity to our family.

Please let us know how thinks went when Caryll came to bring you dinner. I'm sure you expressed the love our entire family to her.
It was a wonderful act of love.

Thank you for continuing to bring joy and love to our family.

Love, Mom

Shannon Engle said...

Thank you for the update. We are praying for you! We agree with your thoughts on treatment. We support you! So sorry we can't be there to physically support you. Your ability to feel peaceful brings us peace.

Sheryl Wardrop said...

FYI - there's an article in the June Reader's Digest on sd called "A Risk Worth Taking" It talks about a woman who had the stem cell transplant done. My Mayo doc told me that I don't qualify for this (at least at this point) I guess I'm not Sick enough!! Actually I'll just try to e-mail you all the article. (I'm not sure if I like the article or not - although the woman did get better.)