Wednesday, May 9, 2007

You can run, but you can't hide

I'm in a state of depression. Almost two years ago, Holly and I went and knocked on our Bishop's door to inform him that we would be moving out of the ward. I had to let him know that after serving as elders quorum president for only 9 weeks, I needed to be released so we could move to a neighboring ward. It was a tough conversation to have, and I felt alot of guilt that I was abandoning my responsibilities after such a short period of time. I must admit, however, that I felt a tremendous amount of relief that I could move to a new ward where we were completely unknown and could "lay low".

Well my plan worked for almost two years. I've been perfectly content working as the cub master. I was so excited that just 1 month ago, I finally had a son who was old enough to be a cub scout. Life was good.

Last night my life changed. Holly and I were asked to meet with the stake president. Our hope was that I would be called as stake building scheduler...that was the only stake calling we could think of that I could get excited about. Unfortunately, I wasn't asked to be the building scheduler. The good news is (mom and dad will be delighted to hear this) Holly is being released from the Relief Society. It’s great timing for her since we’re having a baby in two days. The bad news is that apparently President Franco doesn’t think 9 weeks as the elders quorum president was enough, so I’m signed up again.

I meet with the bishop tonight to discuss counselors and current ward issues (such as home teaching percentages being under 40%). We don’t know whether to be excited that Holly is getting a break from one of her biggest projects, or if we should be terrified that we have a much bigger project on the table.

By the way, I have not yet been sustained, so keep the news under wraps.

4 comments:

Shannon Engle said...

I know you will be awesome again! Good for Holly! You gave your article a great title!!!! Good luck!

David Brown said...

Mark,

Congratualtions!

I ran all the way to Minnesota, but "they" still found me. You're a great priesthood leader and you're on "their" radar screen. Obviously they were impressed with your nine weeks of service in the old ward.

I know Holly was an outstanding counselor in Relief Society and she probably ran the organization, but this change is wise and your family will be blessed to have her at home with the kids while you have the heavier commitment.

MelRae Brown said...

We are so excited for you, Mark. I love your article. It really holds one's attention as you build to the conclusion. Elders' Quorum President - one of the busiest jobs in the Church. I remember when your Dad had that calling and it was a relief when he was called into the Bishopric.
You will be terrific. With Holly released, you can take on a new challenge like this. You are both such outstanding leaders that it is hard for a Bishop to know which one to call when. I'm happy that Holly can be home with the little ones while you are out of the home more.
Poor Packer! He will really miss his Dad being in charge at Scouts. It's good he has been a "scout" for several years before his time. He already knows how things run and he can lead the pack.
Our prayers are with you, Mark. You will be The Best. What a great example you will be to all the Elders in your ward. And your demand for excellence will turn that Quorum upside down. You will have the numbers up high in no time. The Lord knew where you were all the time and called you back when the time was right. Go for it!!
Love, Mom

Terry Naylor said...

SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!
Been there. Done that.